Whether you want to study Medicine and Surgery, Nursing, Dentistry, or another branch of medicine, this post will guide you on the information you need to know about the entry requirements, tuition costs, and free tuition programs in the United States of America (USA) to help you achieve your dream.
Studying a Medical Degree in USA
When looking for undergraduate medical degrees in the United States, you must be a little more specific than usual. As an example, if you want to be a nurse, you must first complete the ‘B.S Nursing’ program.
There is currently a shortage of medical practitioners in almost every country around the world; thus, there will always be a need for more hands in the field. A medical degree opens doors for you both at home and abroad. Opportunities abound for those who have chosen a medical career path.
The following section contains a general list of admission requirements for a medical degree (B.S. or M.D.) in the United States. Please keep in mind that this article is intended for international students interested in studying medicine in the USA.
B.S Admission Requirements in the USA
- Secondary school transcripts or college transcripts with accepted grades (Please keep in mind that accepted grades vary by university.)
- Passport data page, English language proficiency test results
M.D Admission Requirements in the USA
- An undergraduate degree in science.
- At least two letters of recommendation are required.
- MCA Exam Results
- English Language Proficiency Exam (Check the acceptable tests and grades of your chosen university)
- Official transcripts of an English undergraduate degree.
- At least two recommendation letters
- Page with passport information
Cost of Studying a Medical Degree in the USA
- An undergraduate medical degree typically lasts four years and costs between $25000 and $35000 per year for international students.
- A four-year postgraduate medical degree in the United States costs between $10,000 and $100,000 per year for international students.
N/B: The above-mentioned requirements and costs may vary slightly depending on the medical school. It is always best to contact your prospective school directly for more information on costs and entry requirements.
Free Tuition programs for Future MBBS Students in USA
There are numerous tuition-free programs and full scholarships available in the United States for prospective medical students, particularly those pursuing an undergraduate degree. Some of these programs include:
- College of the Ozarks is a Christian school in Point Lookout, Missouri that offers free tuition. The college provides some science-related bachelor’s degrees, which is beneficial for those who plan to pursue an M.D. later in life. It is important to note that in order to qualify for tuition-free education, students must work 15 hours per week. More information is available [here].
- S. Military State Academies: Although tuition is free, you cannot apply directly to the academy. If your country is eligible to nominate students to study at the academies, you must first contact the US Defense attaché office at the American embassy in your country. More information is available [here].
- S. Military State Academies: Although tuition is free at the academy, you cannot apply directly to the academy. Your country must first be on the list of eligible countries that can nominate students to study at the academies, and then you must contact the US Defense attaché office at the American embassy in your country. More information [here]
- The Fulbright Student Program provides full scholarships to international students studying in the United States. Tuition, textbooks, flight tickets, medical insurance, and stipends are all covered by the scholarships. More information is available [here].